Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gear

After welcoming everyone to my site, I would like to start with a quick post about gear. The following list is the gear that I use. The tips and tricks I discuss on this site will be geared towards this gear, but most of them pertain to any camera gear, SLR or P&S.

Primary Camera:
Currently, I use a Canon 400D, also known as the Digital Rebel XTi. Eventually, I may upgrade to the 50D, or preferably the 5D Mark II, but for now the XTi suits my purposes just fine.

Lenses:
The camera body came with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II lens. This lens is rarely on my camera, not that there is anything wrong with it, but I find the focal range to be a bit too limited, and I have absolutely fallen in love with Canon's 'L' series lenses. The Canon L-series glass is phenominal. For most shooting situations, I use a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens. I find the focal range to be ideal for practically any situation I may find myself in. For longer shots, I use the Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM prime telephoto lens, which, for the most part, is plenty long enough to get right into the action on those long nature shots, without disturbing or spooking your subjects.

Support:
For my tripod, I use a set of Manfrotto 190XDB legs with a Manfrotto 322RC2 grip action ballhead. What a combination this makes! Extremely stable, rugged and sturdy, yet surprisingly light and easy to carry on hikes and walks. There are situations where a pan/tilt head would be nice, but I wouldn't trade this combination in for anything. Also in my arsenal, is a trek pole with a removable knob, and a monopod ballhead.

Secondary Camera:
When situations do not warrant the use of the large SLR system, I also have a canon PowerShot SD800 IS. This is really a nice p&s camera, nice and small, easily fits into a pocket, yet it is still packed full of powerfull features. Also, it has a surprisingly good macro mode, which has come in handy on many occasions. It is also capable of shooting video.

Emergency Camera:
In the extremely rare occasion that I come across the perfect scene, and feel the overwhelming desire to capture it but do not have either camera on me, there is always the trusty old cellphone! Definitely only for emergency use, the cell's built in 3MP camera is shotty at best!

Stay tuned, I will be posting plenty of tips, tricks, techniques, and of course, pictures in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment